Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Goals

As of this moment, I have no goals. No short term goals, that is. I admire this in others, but lack the skill to think of new and meaningful things to set as goals for myself.

I realized that I don’t have a single goal yesterday when my sister in law revealed to me that she is going to write a novel. A 50,000 word novel. By the end of November. That is quite the goal! I thought to myself...”the only goal I have is to get the laundry done and the dishes washed before the next day starts.” While that is a necessary task in my home, it’s definitely not a goal I ought to strive to keep to better myself.


I have the typical goals floating around in the back of my mind. Daily scripture study and prayer, regular Temple attendance, teaching my children right from wrong, and a few more vague goals. But I don’t have something concrete, something with an end result to work for. Short term goals.


I have been pondering this all day. The more I think about it, the more lost and useless I feel. I have been trying to think of goals I could set for myself, but to no avail. There is always the goal of “exercising X number of days a week” or “eating healthy” or “keeping the house clean”, but these are all day in and day out goals that are never ending. I need something with an end date. Something that will motivate me to reach the goal I set for myself. But, alas, I am at a loss.


Let’s be honest here, there is no way I could write a 50,000 word novel by the end of November. Probably not even by the end of my lifetime. I have nothing in my head to go on. No story to start writing.

So, I am very curious...what are your goals? May I steal one of yours? I desperately need some ideas. I need some goals to help me feel better about life in general, and to give me some purpose. Please help!

5 comments:

  1. So who’s writing the novel? As for your own goals, I’ve found that you can’t steal them from others. If they don’t come from inside you, they don’t really work. The way to start is to figure out what it is you really want. Mel has spent the better part of 2 years working on this. You should give her a ring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to agree with Randy, they've gotta come from inside. My goal is to get my BQ. I have certain weekly/monthly goals to get there, but that is mine :) I actually have a book that may really help inspire you to think about what you want and what short/long term goals to set to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been feeling the exact same way. No goals that I can set for myself and say it will be done by this date. I feel stuck with small children in the home to pursue anything other than things I can see in the home and that my clothes will again fit me one day! I know what I want to do someday, but nothing in the immediate future. It is a lot of soul searching! Call me sometime!~Kari (I'm on makes account!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish I could actually read this but it is just symbols to me. You should email it to me.

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I love your comments!